Neh 8:10 Cross References
10: And Nehemiah continued, "Go and celebrate with a feast of choice foods and sweet drinks, and share gifts of food with people who have nothing prepared. This is a sacred day before our Lord. Don't be dejected and sad, for the joy of the LORD is your strength!"
- The LORD is my strength, my shield from every danger. I trust in him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving.
- The LORD protects his people and gives victory to his anointed king.
- A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit saps a person's strength.
2 Corinthians 12:8
- Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away.
- Each time he said, "My gracious favor is all you need. My power works best in your weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may work through me.
- O Israel, rejoice in your Maker. O people of Jerusalem, exult in your King.
- In that day you will sing: "Praise the LORD! He was angry with me, but now he comforts me.
- See, God has come to save me. I will trust in him and not be afraid. The LORD GOD is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation."
- With joy you will drink deeply from the fountain of salvation!
2 Corinthians 8:2
- Though they have been going through much trouble and hard times, their wonderful joy and deep poverty have overflowed in rich generosity.
- So to this day, rural Jews living in unwalled villages celebrate an annual festival and holiday in late winter, when they rejoice and send gifts to each other.
- I am overwhelmed with joy in the LORD my God! For he has dressed me with the clothing of salvation and draped me in a robe of righteousness. I am like a bridegroom in his wedding suit or a bride with her jewels.
- He told them to celebrate these days with feasting and gladness and by giving gifts to each other and to the poor. This would commemorate a time when the Jews gained relief from their enemies, when their sorrow was turned into gladness and their mourning into joy.
- So go ahead. Eat your food and drink your wine with a happy heart, for God approves of this!
- Afterward go and celebrate because of all the good things the LORD your God has given to you and your household. Remember to include the Levites and the foreigners living among you in the celebration.
- "Every third year you must offer a special tithe of your crops. You must give these tithes to the Levites, foreigners, orphans, and widows so that they will have enough to eat in your towns.
- Then you must declare in the presence of the LORD your God, `I have taken the sacred gift from my house and have given it to the Levites, foreigners, orphans, and widows, just as you commanded me. I have not violated or forgotten any of your commands.
- So I decided there is nothing better than to enjoy food and drink and to find satisfaction in work. Then I realized that this pleasure is from the hand of God.
- Even the wilderness will rejoice in those days. The desert will blossom with flowers.
- Yes, there will be an abundance of flowers and singing and joy! The deserts will become as green as the mountains of Lebanon, as lovely as Mount Carmel's pastures and the plain of Sharon. There the LORD will display his glory, the splendor of our God.
- With this news, strengthen those who have tired hands, and encourage those who have weak knees.
- Say to those who are afraid, "Be strong, and do not fear, for your God is coming to destroy your enemies. He is coming to save you."
- And people should eat and drink and enjoy the fruits of their labor, for these are gifts from God.
The Song of Songs 5:1
- I am here in my garden, my treasure, my bride! I gather my myrrh with my spices and eat my honeycomb with my honey. I drink my wine with my milk. Oh, lover and beloved, eat and drink! Yes, drink deeply of this love!
- He touched my lips with it and said, "See, this coal has touched your lips. Now your guilt is removed, and your sins are forgiven."
- Then I heard the Lord asking, "Whom should I send as a messenger to my people? Who will go for us?" And I said, "Lord, I'll go! Send me."
- Divide your gifts among many, for you do not know what risks might lie ahead.
1 Timothy 6:17
- Tell those who are rich in this world not to be proud and not to trust in their money, which will soon be gone. But their trust should be in the living God, who richly gives us all we need for our enjoyment.
- Tell them to use their money to do good. They should be rich in good works and should give generously to those in need, always being ready to share with others whatever God has given them.
- "Have I refused to help the poor, or crushed the hopes of widows who looked to me for help?
- Have I been stingy with my food and refused to share it with hungry orphans?
- No, from childhood I have cared for orphans, and all my life I have cared for widows.
- Rejoice, you people of Jerusalem! Rejoice in the LORD your God! For the rains he sends are an expression of his grace. Once more the autumn rains will come, as well as the rains of spring.
- So give to the needy what you greedily possess, and you will be clean all over.
- Yet I could have confidence in myself if anyone could. If others have reason for confidence in their own efforts, I have even more!
- Even so, I have noticed one thing, at least, that is good. It is good for people to eat well, drink a good glass of wine, and enjoy their work--whatever they do under the sun--for however long God lets them live.
- All the people who belong to this world will give presents to each other to celebrate the death of the two prophets who had tormented them.