Deuteronomy 4:9 Cross References
9: "But watch out! Be very careful never to forget what you have seen the LORD do for you. Do not let these things escape from your mind as long as you live! And be sure to pass them on to your children and grandchildren.
- Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are away on a journey, when you are lying down and when you are getting up again.
- Teach them to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are away on a journey, when you are lying down and when you are getting up again.
- stories we have heard and know, stories our ancestors handed down to us.
- We will not hide these truths from our children but will tell the next generation about the glorious deeds of the LORD. We will tell of his power and the mighty miracles he did.
- For he issued his decree to Jacob; he gave his law to Israel. He commanded our ancestors to teach them to their children,
- so the next generation might know them--even the children not yet born--that they in turn might teach their children.
- So each generation can set its hope anew on God, remembering his glorious miracles and obeying his commands.
- I have singled him out so that he will direct his sons and their families to keep the way of the LORD and do what is right and just. Then I will do for him all that I have promised."
- he added: "Take to heart all the words I have given you today. Pass them on as a command to your children so they will obey every word of this law.
- And now a word to you fathers. Don't make your children angry by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction approved by the Lord.
- "There are secret things that belong to the LORD our God, but the revealed things belong to us and our descendants forever, so that we may obey these words of the law.
- Pay attention, my child, to what I say. Listen carefully.
- Don't lose sight of my words. Let them penetrate deep within your heart,
- for they bring life and radiant health to anyone who discovers their meaning.
- Above all else, guard your heart, for it affects everything you do.
- "During these festival days each year, you must explain to your children why you are celebrating. Say to them, `This is a celebration of what the LORD did for us when we left Egypt.'
- This annual festival will be a visible reminder to you, like a mark branded on your hands or your forehead. Let it remind you always to keep the LORD's instructions in your minds and on your lips. After all, it was the LORD who rescued you from Egypt with great power.
- My children, listen to me. Listen to your father's instruction. Pay attention and grow wise,
- for I am giving you good guidance. Don't turn away from my teaching.
- For I, too, was once my father's son, tenderly loved by my mother as an only child.
- My father told me, "Take my words to heart. Follow my instructions and you will live.
- Learn to be wise, and develop good judgment. Don't forget or turn away from my words.
- My child, never forget the things I have taught you. Store my commands in your heart,
- for they will give you a long and satisfying life.
- Never let loyalty and kindness get away from you! Wear them like a necklace; write them deep within your heart.
- Go back to what you heard and believed at first; hold to it firmly and turn to me again. Unless you do, I will come upon you suddenly, as unexpected as a thief.
- O my son, give me your heart. May your eyes delight in my ways of wisdom.
- Now that I am old and gray, do not abandon me, O God. Let me proclaim your power to this new generation, your mighty miracles to all who come after me.
- Listen, my child, to what your father teaches you. Don't neglect your mother's teaching.
- So we must listen very carefully to the truth we have heard, or we may drift away from it.
- We will use these stones to build a memorial. In the future, your children will ask, `What do these stones mean to you?'
- Then you can tell them, `They remind us that the Jordan River stopped flowing when the Ark of the LORD's covenant went across.' These stones will stand as a permanent memorial among the people of Israel."
- My child, don't lose sight of good planning and insight. Hang on to them,
- I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.
- Then Joshua said to the Israelites, "In the future, your children will ask, `What do these stones mean?'
- Come, my children, and listen to me, and I will teach you to fear the LORD.
- Do any of you want to live a life that is long and good?
- Then watch your tongue! Keep your lips from telling lies!
- Turn away from evil and do good. Work hard at living in peace with others.
- The eyes of the LORD watch over those who do right; his ears are open to their cries for help.
- "And in the future, your children will ask you, `What does all this mean?' Then you will tell them, `With mighty power the LORD brought us out of Egypt from our slavery.
- Pharaoh refused to let us go, so the LORD killed all the firstborn males throughout the land of Egypt, both people and animals. That is why we now offer all the firstborn males to the LORD--except that the firstborn sons are always redeemed.'
- Again I say, this ceremony will be like a mark branded on your hands or your forehead. It is a visible reminder that it was the LORD who brought you out of Egypt with great power."
- Follow my advice, my son; always treasure my commands.
- So be careful not to break the covenant the LORD your God has made with you. You will break it if you make idols of any shape or form, for the LORD your God has absolutely forbidden this.
- "But be careful! You did not see the LORD's form on the day he spoke to you from the fire at Mount Sinai.
- What makes us think that we can escape if we are indifferent to this great salvation that was announced by the Lord Jesus himself? It was passed on to us by those who heard him speak,
- Only the living can praise you as I do today. Each generation can make known your faithfulness to the next.
- So be sure to pay attention to what you hear. To those who are open to my teaching, more understanding will be given. But to those who are not listening, even what they think they have will be taken away from them."
- You see, he was trusting God so much that he was willing to do whatever God told him to do. His faith was made complete by what he did--by his actions.
- "Now write down the words of this song, and teach it to the people of Israel. Teach them to sing it, so it may serve as a witness against them.
- Anyone who rebels against your word and does not obey your every command will be put to death. So be strong and courageous!"